Permaculture Design Course for Educators of Children: Starting 18th October 2023
The fourth ever Permaculture Design Course for Educators led by Children in Permaculture trainers online is starting in September 2022. Join us to find out all about permaculture, covering the full Permaculture Design Course curriculum all related to how you would share this with children. Topics will include introducing permaculture, soil, water, plants, trees, growing food, social permaculture, the built environment, resource use, patterns, design processes, observing, analysing, designing, implementing and maintaining. At the end you will receive a Permaculture Design Course certificate from the Permaculture Association (Britain), read their course prospectus here.
On Wednesdays, 5pm to 8.15pm UK time, with homeplay tasks every week.
18th October – 20th December (10 sessions) with a 2 week break for xmas, then another 10 sessions from 10th January – 13th March 2024.
The main course content is delivered online through interactive zoom sessions. There will also be fun practical tasks for you to complete each week outdoors (in a garden), preferably with children.
This course is for anyone interested in permaculture, with a focus on engaging children whether for work or home. It is ideally suited to school, nursery and kindergarten teachers, parents, carers, home educators, forest school leaders, gardeners, and other people involved in the education of children.
The Introduction to Engaging Children in Permaculture course is the first module of this Permaculture Design Course for Educators. You must have completed this course before the PDC begins – we won’t be able to let you join without this. Please see here for information about the next one of these courses which is running.
This training course is being led by Lusi Alderslowe and Nim Robins, and is the produce of the European ‘Children in Permaculture’ project in which best practice has been shared across the continent from Finland to Italy, Scotland to Romania.
“The future of our planet depends on a change of consciousness, in which the people and the resources of the natural world are no longer taken for granted and exploited without considering long term impacts. Supporting children from early childhood to develop a sensitive, compassionate and cooperative relationship with each other and the natural world is a crucial step in generating this new consciousness” (p. 1, The Children in Permaculture Manual; Alderslowe, Amus & Deshaies, 2018).
THIS COURSE WILL GIVE PARTICIPANTS:
- The internationally recognised Permaculture Design Course certificate that recognises 72 hours of teacher led content from the Permaculture Association (Britain).
- A certificate from Children in Permaculture which demonstrates that you’ve completed the Permaculture Design Course for Educators.
- 60 hours of teacher-led time which will be as close to a face to face course as possible over the internet, plus additional homework and tasks to do from one week to the next, such as observing a woodland or doing an activity in the garden, all with a focus on how to do it with the children in your life.
- A thorough introduction to all the core themes of the Permaculture Design Course and Children in Permaculture Curriculum: soil, water, plants, trees, built environment, resource use, growing food and social permaculture, all specifically related to working with children.
- Understanding how permaculture design processes can greatly enhance the education of children when used to design their learning environments and sessions.
- Understanding about how to use the permaculture design tools for surveying, analysing, deciding, implementing, maintaining and evaluating.
- Experience and understanding in creating a ’learnscape’ for children that is consciously designed, creative and perfectly suited to their needs.
- Practice completing a Permaculture Design with and for children.
- Next steps on your permaculture pathway.
- An opportunity to build connections with other people from around the world who are on a similar journey to yourself.
5pm to 8.15pm UK time, on Wednesdays. To find what time it will be in your timezone click here. For example, this is 6pm – 9.15pm Central European Time
Tasks will be set each week, preferably to be completed by the following week. These will be mainly outdoor tasks which will be explained either during the teleconference calls or by written instructions /videos. These will be things which you can do with children or alone, and will take around an hour each week.
If you pay the full amount before the beginning of the course you pay the following:
Organisation/good wage/pay it forward £900
Low waged (household income below £13k) £400
Unwaged (e.g. student). Max 2 places. £200
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT: if you pay in full before 5th September there is a 5% discount.
It is brilliant if you are able to pay the full amount up front as it considerably reduces admin. It is also possible to pay by instalments, with an admin fee of 10% on whatever remains to be paid at the start of the course. Please contact us to discuss if you are not able to pay in full before the course start date
There are two places for people who are unwaged at £200. Please apply by completing the registration form. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis to those who meet the course pre-requirements as stated above.
There is one scholarship place for someone from the majority world. Contact us for more information.
BOOKING YOUR PLACE
After completing the registration form you will be sent an email with payment instructions. Your place will be confirmed once you have made a payment.
All places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis includingRE making a payment. Previous courses have sold out, so book early to avoid disappointment.
If you cancel more than two weeks in advance of the course, the deposit of 50% of your full fee is non-refundable. If you cancel within two weeks of the course starting, the full fee is non-refundable. To receive the completion certificate you must attend a minimum of 75% of the course.